Monday, April 18, 2005

Once again, I should be working or something, but I just have to get this off my chest. This morning as I was reading The Japan Times, there was article after article about Japan's poor relations with its neighbours. The article that upset me the most, more than the riots and claims and counter claims for tiny islands was the article about how certain school trips have been canceled that were going to South Korea or China. The reason I am so upset is because, in my opinion, one of the key ways to bring about peace and mutual understanding is through communication and cultural exchange between ordinary people - especially youth. If young people can meet and talk to each other, then that would be the first step towards understanding. The tragedy of what is happening right now is that the opportunities for exchange and communication between young people is being cancelled at a time when these kinds of trips and programs should be increasing. I hope that more trips won't be cancelled.

One organization that I admire is The Asian Youth Forum. Here is more information about them: http://www.asianyouthforum.org/ They organize meetings between young people from all over Asia. It's times like these that we most need organizations like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home